Determining if Your Design Needs a Variation of This Classic Timing Solution
In early 2022, ECS Inc. introduced an expansion of its TCXO products to include analog compensated options. These new options introduced additional benefits and capabilities for engineers across the ECS Inc. timing solution offering. As with all ECS Inc. products, we strived to ensure these timing solutions were even better than regular TCXOs.
Let’s take a look at TCXOs and explore how analog compensation improves these components.
What is a TCXO?
TCXO is an acronym for “temperature compensated crystal oscillator.” As the name suggests, TCXOs are crystal oscillators that compensate for changes in ambient temperature with changes in frequency control. Since TCXOs are one of the most accurate and stable timing solutions on the market, they are found in many applications. TCXOs are used in the following products:
- Analog-to-digital converters
- Power supplies
- Medical equipment
- Telecommunications devices
- Wireless devices
- And more
TCXOs operate within the required specifications of most electronic circuits, so engineers find them to be a worthwhile addition to any design. TCXOs also provide the following additional benefits:
- Low Phase Noise: With less time instabilities, TCXOs are perfect for synchronization applications.
- Low Power Consumption: TCXOs do not drain extra power from your system since they require minimal power to operate.
- Small Size: Circuit board space is valuable, so engineers are always looking for ways to preserve it. Utilize a high-functioning component that is smaller than its counterparts to maximize your available space.
- Compatibility: TCXOs are compatible with various devices and platforms, making them a reliable option for engineers across many industries.
What is Compensation?
As a crystal experiences changes in temperature, these changes cause the frequency to be inaccurate. Temperature compensation recognizes this change and applies a voltage to the crystal to move it back to the desired frequency. This is a continuous process within many oscillators.
There are various compensations that are applied to timing solutions across the industry. At ECS Inc., most of our components that include compensation fall into one of two categories:
- Digital Compensation: When the temperature change reaches the threshold for compensation, digital compensation applies a sudden voltage to instantly move the frequency back to the center frequency. These sudden frequency corrections are known as micro-jumps.
- Analog Compensation: A gradual counter to the digital compensation method, analog compensation offers a much smoother correction to the frequency. Instead of requiring a sudden jump, processors have some time to adjust to frequency changes.
What’s Different About ECS Inc. Analog Compensated TCXO MultiVolt™ Oscillators?
Adding analog compensation to the TCXO MultiVolt™ oscillators allows them to provide expanded frequency compensation possibilities. Analog compensated TCXOs utilize a high refresh rate – or frequency calibration rate – to maintain a steady frequency output during temperature compensation.
Additionally, analog compensated TCXOs reduce frequency micro jumps that normally occur during standard digital compensation. Smaller package sizes also make these products suitable for wi-fi, mobile phones, wearables, GPS and IoT applications. ECS Inc. TCXO products provide additional benefits to circuits as well:
- MultiVolt™ Compatibility: Compatible with 1.8V, 2.5V, 3.0V and 3.3V static supply voltages or multi volt range of 1.7V to 3.6V.
- Clipped Sine Wave Output: Clipped sine waves are kept from reaching maximum high and low frequencies. These waves are clipped to achieve square wave output without hindering phase noise resistance.
- Superior Frequency Stability: With frequency stability tolerances as low as 0.5 PPM, our timing solutions are some of the most consistent on the market.
Our collection of analog compensated TCXO MultiVolt™ oscillators includes two different sizes: the ECS-TXO-20CSMV-AC measures 2.0 x 1.6 x 0.8 mm and the ECS-TXO-25CSMV-AC measures 2.5 x 2.0x 0.8 mm. Engineers have multiple options to fit their circuit designs as needed.
Improve Your Frequency Control With Enhanced Timing Solutions and Other Components From ECS Inc.
ECS Inc. manufactures a wide variety of timing solutions and other components for many different systems. Our high-quality component offering includes:
Our timing solutions support high-performance and quality frequency control. ECS Inc. manufactures components for all types of circuit board designs and our components always meet performance expectations.
How To Identify Required Components and Integrate Them Into Your System
The ECS Inc. website has simplified the process of identifying the components you need and finding distributors to purchase from. Use the Parametric Search and Search Inventory pages to narrow your options and only see components that are relevant to you. Component options are categorized by the following characteristics:
We also have ECS Inc. team members available to work with you and identify the needs of your system and the components that will help. We understand that not everyone will find what they need online. Reach out to a sales representative in your area or submit your information to our contact form to have an engineering professional contact you.
To purchase components, find an authorized distributor on the ECS Inc. website. This is the best way to guarantee your components are high quality.